The present church, which rose like a phoenix from the ashes of the second St. Anne’s Church, was built immediately after the fire of 1858 in the Romanesque Revival style and incorporated a portion of the old tower. The church was completed in 1859, except for the present steeple which was delayed by the Civil War and not completed until 1866. At the request of the City of Annapolis, the Town Clock has been housed in the tower since that time.
The stone Altar and Font were carved by the Maryland sculptor, William Henry Rinehart (1825-1874). The walnut pulpit, pews, and bishop’s chair were made for the new church in 1859. The brass eagle lectern is in memory of Captain James Wadell (1824-1886), who as commander of the Confederate Raider “Shenandoah”, is said to have sunk or captured more American ships than anyone else in history. The walnut reredos depicting the Risen Christ offering the Book of Life to humankind was made in 1920 by the Oberammergau woodcarver, William Kirchmayer. Some of the stained glass windows are notable as well. The third one on the south side, depicting St. Anne instructing her young daughter, the Blessed Virgin Mary, was made by the Tiffany Studios and exhibited at the Colombian Exposition in Chicago in 1893 before being put in the church. The new organ in the rear gallery was built by the Freiburger Orgelbau and installed in 1975.
The St. Anne’s Compass Rose adorns the top of the church steeple and signifies the universal call of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the mission of St. Anne’s Parish to our entire city and county.